Best Pressure Cooker For Beans
How to Cook Dried Beans in a Pressure Cooker?
Beans are cheap and available. They are full of nutrition and vitamins. It is easy to cook beans with a pressure cooker, and it does not need much time. Also, you can preserve the beans in the containers too and use them later. Also, you can customize the tastes and aromas of your beans by adding garlic, cinnamons; onions, etc. Dried beans become bad or get old if you left them for longer times. So always try to buy fresh beans. Try to buy them from a reputable shop so that you should not end up with old beans. It is better to use a big size or medium size pressure cooker to cook the beans. Normally a 6-quart pressure cooker or an 8-quart pressure cooker will be perfect for the job. Small size pressure cookers can be used, but you may face some problems during cooking. Also, if you want to store beans, then small size pressure cookers will not be enough to cook much amount of beans. Now we are going to discuss some bean recipes that are full of flavors and nutritious.
PRESSURE COOKING BEANS
- Beans: one pound.
- Yellow onions: one-fourth of an onion.
- Salt: two tablespoons and one teaspoon.
- Garlic: one clove.
- Oil: one tablespoon.
At first, you need to presoak beans. Take two tables spoon salt and mix the salt with water (6 cups). Now rinse the beans properly. Then add the beans to the salted water. Now cover it with a towel or a plate. It will not take more than six to eight hours to soak the beans properly.
Once the beans are soaked properly, take them out. Now it is time to drain the beans. Pour the beans into a colander. You can also use a sieve instead of a colander.
Now take the pressure cooker and place it on a stove. Put the beans into the pressure cooker. Now add all the ingredients to the pressure cooker. That means to add water (eight cups), salt (one teaspoon), bay leaf, onion, oil, and garlic in the pot of the pressure cooker.
Now carefully close the lid of the pressure cooker. Make sure that the lid is closed properly. It’s time to hit the flame. Turn the flame on high. Now, wait until the pressure cooker reaches its high pressure. Once the high pressure is achieved, then reduce the flame to the low to get a constant pressure.
Do not forget to start timing the cooking time of the beans. It will take two to three minutes to cook the beans. Once the cooking is finished put away the flame.
First, allow the pressure cooker to become cold. Use the natural system to release the pressure from the pot of the pressure cooker.
Now take the lid off of the pressure cooker. The beans are cooked perfectly. Now use a spoon or anything else to separate the beans from the bay leaves, onions, and garlic. Now the beans are ready for use.
If you want to store the beans, then take a cup. Measure the beans by 11/2 of the cups. Now put them into a container. Make sure that there is necessary space on the top of the bean. Use the liquid to cover it. Now sealed the container and put it in a freezer.
If you do not know which pressure cooker will be suitable for you? Please look into the website to learn more about pressure cookers.
- Vegetable oil: ¼ cup. You can use olive oil instead.
- White onion: one medium-sized onion.
- Garlic: two cloves.
- Mexican oregano: one teaspoon. You can avoid this if you want.
- Pinto beans: one pound. Make sure that the beans are dried.
- Kosher salt: one to two teaspoons. Depending on your taste.
Slice the onion properly. Now wash the pinto beans properly.
Place the pressure cooker on a stove. Raise the flame and heat the pot of the pressure cooker. When the temperature reached to high sautéing, add all the ingredients like oil, garlic, oregano, and onion slices into the pot of the pressure cooker. Let the ingredients cook for at least five minutes. Do not use or add salt. Cause it will make the bean skin tough or hard. Also, make sure that the lid of the pressure cooker is open while cooking the ingredients.
Now add the beans to the ingredients. Then pour eight cups of water into the pot. Now close the lid and make sure it is sealed properly. Let the beans stir or cook for 35 minutes.
Now turn off the flame of the stove. Let the pressure of the pot release naturally. Now check a bean. If it is cooked properly en the bean will be tender completely. But if the bean is not properly tendered then cook the beans for a little more time.
Once the cooking is finished, remove the lid or cover carefully. Now drains the beans from the liquid. Reserve the liquid in a pot or a cup for further use. Then put the beans back in the pot of the pressure cooker. Now add salt (one teaspoon) and the liquids (that you reserved) to the pot. Use a blender to puree the beans properly. During puree add one-fourth cup of liquid at a time. Do it until you get the perfect texture. Before serving taste the salt whether it is ok, or you need more.
It is a perfect match for a Mexican dish. You can garnish the dish with the queso Blanco or queso fresco cheese if you want. Serve the dish while it is warm.
Want to try this recipe with a pressure cooker? Please see our reviews to learn which pressure cooker will suit your need.
BLACK BEANS WITH CHORIZO
For cooking beans with a pressure cooker, this will be one of the easiest ways for you. By this dish, you can serve up to 8 people. It will take not more than one hour to prepare this dish. It is a very healthy and nutritious meal with mouthwatering flavors.
- Vegetable oil: one tablespoon.
- Spanish-style chorizo: six ounces. These should be split lengthwise into half. Then cut them into one by four inches.
- Black beans (dried): one pound.
- Onion: one onion will be enough. Split it in half.
- Garlic: six garlic cloves (whole).
- Orange: one. Cut it in the half.
- Bay leaves two.
- Chicken stock: at least two quarts. It should be low sodium.
- Kosher salt: two spoons.
- Cilantro: should be fresh and chopped.
Take oil in the pressure cooker. Heat it until the oil shimmers. Now add some chorizo to the oil. Stir it until the chorizo becomes crisp and releases all its fat. It does not take more than two minutes.
Now add the beans, salt (two teaspoons), garlic cloves, bay leaves, onions, orange, and chicken stock in the pot of the pressure cooker. Put the lid back on the cooker. Select high pressure and let it cook for at least 40 minutes.
Once the cooking is finished, let the pressure cooker cool. Allow the pressure release from the pot naturally. It will give the beans an extra creamy and tender look. If you want firm beans, then you should follow some tricks. If the pressure cooker is electric, then use the quick release system to open the valve for pressure release. If the pressure cooker is a stovetop, then put the pressure cooker into cold water (running) until all the pressure dissipates or released.
Now remove the lid very carefully. Discard the bay leaves, onions, and orange.
You can use some salt, and fresh cilantro to seasoning the dish and your meal is ready to serve. Enjoy the tasty black beans with your family and friends. Before you try this recipe, you need to know all the things about your pressure cooker. You will find our reviews about your pressure cooker here.
VEGAN BLACK BEAN WITH CHILI
It’s a very awesome dish. It will take one hour to cook this meal. You can serve this dish with so many things like sour cream, tortilla chips, etc. you can use both stovetop or electric pressure cooker to make this dish, but the electric pressure cooker will be better.
- Black beans: one pound.
- Vegetable oil: three tablespoons.
- Garlic cloves: four, medium-sized.
- Red bell peppers: two, medium-sized.
- Red onions: two.
- Chili powder: two tablespoons.
- Kosher salt: one tablespoon (depends on your taste).
- Ground cumin: one tablespoon.
- Tomato paste: one tablespoon.
- Minced chipotles with adobo sauce: two tablespoons.
- Tomatoes (can crush): one.
- Corn kernels: two cups.
- Cheddar Cheese: shredded.
- Lime wedges.
Put the beans into a bowl. Now put cold water in the bowl so that the beans are covered with 3 inches or more water. Soak the beans for 8 hours or more. Now slice the garlic cloves, red bell papers, and red onion.
Drain the beans by using a colander. Now put some oil in the pot of the pressure cooker. Heat the cooker until the oil starts shimmering.
Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Put some salt (one tablespoon) into it. Now cook it for five minutes. Then add the chili powder and cumin and cook for two more minutes. Insert the chipotles and the tomato paste. Stir and cook for two or one minutes to mix properly. Then insert the beans, water, salt (two teaspoons), and crushed tomatoes in the pot.
Lock the lid properly. Now select high heat for high pressure. When the highest pressure achieved, reduce the heat to medium to get constant pressure. Cook the beans for 30 minutes.
Take the pressure cooker off the stove and let it cool. Now use the quick release method to release the steam. Stir the corn for three minutes.
The meal is ready. Add cinnamon, chili, etc. for taste and serve the food to your guests with sour cream or tortilla chips. Before trying this recipe, you need to make sure that you know all the safety features of your pressure cooker. You can know about the safety features of your pressure cooker from here.
THINGS NEEDED TO REMEMBER WHILE COOKING THE BEANS:
- There was a belief that using salt while soaking the using of salt is not good. But it is not true. Mix some salt during soaking; it will help the beans to season properly.
- Try to add some ingredients to beans for extra aroma. You can use bay leaves, cinnamons, garlic, bay leaves, etc. it will not only give a better smell but also give a boost to the taste.
- Always try to add one tablespoon of oil to the pot before starting the cooking. Because the beans always produce a lot of foam during cooking. This foam can block or clog the valve of the pressure cooker. So there is a chance of an accident. But if you use the oil then there will be less foam and the chance of accident will be reduced a lot.
- Always use the time chart from the catalog book during cooking beans. Cause the cooking time will slightly vary because of the size and body metals of the pressure cooker. Also, the cooking time will be different for the stovetop and electric pressure cooker.
- Always check a bean to see how the beans are tendered. If the tender is not up to the point, then cook for a little more.
- Always check the water level. Add extra if needed.
- Always be aware of old beans. Because if you cook old beans you will never be able to make the beans tender or soften properly.
- Try to add ginger, asafetida, turmeric, etc. during cooking beans. It will make the dish more balance. Also, it will make the meal more digestible.
Having a pressure cooker can make your life comfortable, and you will not need lots of utensils to cook different dishes. You can use the pressure cooker for cooking different items. Try all these bean recipes to have an excellent side dish at your table. If you want to know more recipes for pressure cooker click here.
Read Top Pressure Cooker Reviews from successfulkitchen.com