Using a pressure cooker to cook is not only time-saving but also delicious too, it produces food that has more nitration than regular cooked foods. When it comes to cooking chicken with a pressure cooker, then the whole chicken is a very delicious item for any food lover. Also, if you buy a whole chicken rather than meat from the supermarket, then you can save a fair amount of money. There are different ways to cook the whole chicken in the pressure cooker. Like the chicken roast, mild cook, chicken in hot sauce, South Indian chicken, etc. Normally 6 quarts and 8-quart pressure cookers are perfects to cook a whole chicken. If the pressure cooker is smaller to cook the whole chicken, then you may have problems as the chicken may not fit in the pressure cooker. But one can pick a smaller size chicken to cook with a small pressure cooker. Now we will go to discuss How to Cook Chicken in Pressure Cooker
Whole Chicken Roasted
- First, you need a whole chicken. It will be better if the chicken weight is between 2 to 4 IBS.
- Salt or spices or pepper. It depends on your test. You can also use thyme, parsley, garlic powder, or onion powder if you want.
- Olive oil – depends on your test. Almost 250 grams.
- 4 cups of water or chicken broth.
At first, take the whole chicken and let it defrosted. When the chicken is completely defrosted, then take it out. Now use the spices to coat the chicken properly. Make sure all the part of the chicken is evenly coated and seasoned. It will ensure the taste and moisture of the chicken. Now put some olive oil in the pressure cooker and press the heat button. Let the chicken become brown. When every side of the chicken becomes brown (bottom, top, and the sides), then press the off button of the pressure cooker. At the time of Browning be careful so that the chicken is not burned or over-browned.
Now take the chicken out from the pressure cooker. Place the chicken in a clean dish or plate. Add some water or the chicken broth in the pressure cooker. Then deglaze the pressure cooker bottom by using a spatula. Now let the pan of the pressure cooker become cool. Put a stand or a platform (made of metal) in the pressure cooker. Now put the pan on the medal stand or platform.
Hit the cook button of the pressure cooker. You need to select the timer carefully. Make sure the chicken is not overcooked. The cooking time will depend on the weight of the chicken. For every pound, it will need 6 minutes to cook properly. If the weight of the chicken is 2 pounds, then hit the timer for 12 min. Use the quick-release method during cooking to let the steam exit from the pressure cooker. You can also use the neutral released method if you want. It will take some time to roast the chicken. You can use this time by chopping your favorite vegetables and cook them if needed. Try to pick vegetables that have most nutritious. It will balance the diet. Carrots, turnips, beets, etc. will do perfectly. Try some celery on the vegetables. It will give the test an extra kick.
Once the cook is finished open the lid of the pressure cooker. Once the chicken is properly roasted, there will be thickened juices. This juice will help you to make the chicken more gravy and tasty. Now if you are satisfied with the roasted chicken then serve the chicken while it’s warm. But if you want the skin of the chicken crispier then you should take the chicken out of the cooker. Use some butter or oil on the chicken and again put it in the pressure cooker. Select the timer for 10 to 15 minutes. Set the temperature to 400 degrees. If you want, then you can add the sliced vegetables to the chicken. Once the roasting is complete, then you have to take out the chicken from the pressure cooker. Use the leftovers of the roasted chicken to make a stock.
If you like the idea of roasting a whole chicken by a pressure cooker and willing to give it a try then, you will need a pressure cooker. Before you choose, any pressure cooker goes through our reviews of them.
Whole Chicken Stock
- A whole chicken
- One medium-sized onion will be enough. The onions should be unpeeled and cut into pieces or quarters.
- Celery stalks with leaves. Two pieces will be enough.
- Cilantro or parsley springs. At least five.
- Minced garlic – one tablespoon.
- Dried thyme – two tablespoons.
- Dried oregano – 1 tablespoon.
- Salt – two tablespoons (depends on your taste).
- Peppercorns – at least 8.
- Carrots – minimum two.
- Chicken broth.
At first, take the whole chicken and put it on the rack of the pressure cooker. Cover the chicken with water. Don’t forget to use foil under the chicken during placing on the rack. This foil will make the removal of the chicken easier. Now lock the lid of the pressure cooker. First, select the pressure over high heat. Then reduce the heat to the minimum settings. Let the pressure drop naturally. Select the timer for 30 minutes.
Once the cooking is completed, then transfer the cooked chicken to a chopping board and let it cool. Now remove the skin from the chicken. Also, separate the meat and the bones. Separate the dark and the white meat too.
Now it’s time to make the stock. Take six cups of broth and add some water. Take the carrots and chop them into small pieces. Add the other ingredients (onions, celery, parsley sprigs, minced garlic, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, peppercorns and bay leaves) and carrots into the chicken broth. Now put it into the pressure cooker. Set the timer for 30 minutes more. Use the natural release system to let the extra steam from the pressure cooker. Then drain the broth through a colander into a pot or bowl.
So now your chicken and the stalk are ready. If you don’t use the full stalk with the chicken, then freeze it and use it later with other dishes.
The chicken stalk is a very healthy and nutritious dish. Try to eliminate the salt if there is children or ill people who have problems with diet.
Beer Can Whole Chicken
Cooking chicken in a pan and then use the can is the main trick of this dish. The beer can be whole chicken is very delicious and also full of nutritious and flavorful. The cooking process of beer can chicken one of the easiest recipes. Maximum 30 to 40 minutes will take to do the whole cooking. The beer gives the dish an extra boost and mouthwatering taste. If you are using a 6 quart or larger pressure cooker, then this recipe will be perfect to cook in a very limited time.
Are you willing to try this recipe but do not know which pressure cooker will meet your need? See our reviews understand your need and get one according to it.
- A whole chicken. It will be better if the weight of the chicken is between 3 to 4 IB.
- Beer (single can is enough).
- Leaves of bay laurel. It will be one-third of the beer can.
- Rosemary – Around 2 Tbsp.
- Sage – Around 2 Tbsp.
- Thyme – Around 2 Tbsp.
- Olive oil.
- Salt pepper.
At first chopped down the rosemary, sage, and thyme into small pieces. Take half of the lemon juice and mix it with olive oil.
Take the whole chicken. Now rinse the chicken and make it dry properly. You may find giblets on the neck of the chicken. Rinse them properly. Use the giblets in braize to add extra flavor.
Now mix all the herbs that were chopped down. Add lemon and olive oil mixer to the herbs. Add some pepper to taste. Now use a brush to seasoning the chicken. You should find tips (wings tips) behind the neck of the chicken, and it is open. Use it to tuck the chicken and season it perfectly.
Now put the chicken into the pressure cooker and select the brown option. Set the timer for 10 minutes. After this process, the whole chicken will be browned. Now take the chicken out from the pressure cooker.
It’s time to deglaze. Pour one-third beer of the can into the pot of the pressure cooker. Now add half lemon juice and bay leaf to the pressure cooker. Then add another half lemon juice and one bay leaf in the can of the beer. Place the beer can in the middle of the pan of the pressure cooker. Now place the chicken in the pressure cooker in such a way so that it will sit on the top of the beer can. Now pour the rest of the seasoning or liquids on the chicken. It will make the chicken more gravy and juicy. If there are any giblets or other things, remain then put those things in the beer of the pot.
Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Now set the timer for 25 minutes. Do not forget to set high pressure. If you are cooking with a pressure cooker that is stovetop, then raise the pressure to the highest pick. Once the highest pressure is reached, then lower it to maintain constant pressure. For the stovetop, cook the chicken for 20 minutes. Use a regular method to release the pressure during cooking.
After the cooking, open the pressure cooker. Now take out the chicken from the pressure cooker. Use the neck to pull or lift the chicken, not the wings. If you grab by the wings then the wings may come off during pulling or lifting. Now place the chicken on the plate or serving pan. Use aluminum foil to wrap it. Now tender it again for five more minutes. Do not place the lid on the pressure cooker during tendering. Now the chicken is ready to serve. Remove the foil and serve the chicken. Pour the giblets over the chicken.
If you like to try this recipe, then you will need to have a pressure cooker large enough to accommodate the whole chicken. Get an idea about large pressure cookers by reading our reviews.
Things Needed To Handle Carefully During Cooking a Whole Chicken
Cooking a whole chicken in the pressure cooker takes a few preparations. Moreover, you will need to follow a few rules to cooking the chicken perfectly. Here we have enlisted a few points you can check before you start the cooking process.
- Always try to use the natural method while letting the steam out of the pressure cooker. It will help to cook the chicken to perfection and keep you safe from injuries too.
- Always lift the chicken with its neck. Cause, after cooking or tendering the wings, are not much capable of holding the weight of the full chicken. Try to use your hand to hold the neck. It is necessary to let the chicken cool down before you can use your hand to hold the neck.
- Always be aware of the capability of the pressure cooker. Do not exceed the maximum amount of the pressure cooker to fill. There is a rule of filling the pressure cooker. Never fill over the two-thirds capacity of the pressure cooker.
- Always make sure that you have closed the lid properly. Always move it clockwise. In some models of the electric pressure cooker, the cooking process will not start unless you have closed the lid correctly.
- Always follow the recipe while releasing pressure after cooking.
- Follow the recipe during quick pressure release. It ensures that the cooking is going perfectly. Also, it will save the dish from being overcooked.
- Try to use less water. It ensures the nutrition and flavors remain in the dish. Because the more water you use, the more evaporation will happen. This evaporation leads to the loss of nutrition and flavors.
- For cooking whole chicken try to use bigger pressure cookers, at least, 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Try to add vegetables and salads with the chicken. It will balance the diet. Also, vegetables will prevent the chicken from being overcooked.
Cooking with a pressure cooker will bring happiness to your cooking life by making it simpler. By using one, you will be able to put healthy and nutritious food on the kitchen table in minimum time. Cooking a whole chicken in a pressure cooker is quite easy. If you can do it perfectly, it can be the centerpiece of your dinner table on any occasion. Get a pressure cooker and cook a whole chicken. Then enjoy it with your friends and family. For more recipes for a pressure cooker, you can visit our website. Hope you have enjoyed my articles about “How to Cook Whole Chicken in Pressure Cooke.”What do you use to cook your daily foods? We suggest you only best pressure cookers